Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tomato dreams

I made the hoops larger this year. In prior years the tomatoes have always crashed into the plastic, resulting in burnt and disfigured leaves. This year the hoops are made from 10' lengths of 1/2" PVC, resulting in something like a 4' loft. 

My goal is ripe tomatoes, canned and put up before the end of the summer, that being the end of August instead of the beginning of October. I have a dream of gobs of ripening tomatoes by the end of July. Steve Solomon says that it is possible. I am hopeful. I see the pathway to get there and positive signs. These plants are bursting with blooms, pollinated and waiting for pollination. I see the beginnings of fruit as well. These are determinate, they should soon set fruit aggressively.  

Today is a beautiful day and Cliff Mass says that the northwest summer weather switch will turn on around July 6. Things look good, but there is always time for disaster to sweep in. 


Started Feb 24; emerged March 3; put out May 8.

2 comments:

  1. So do you cover them with plastic every night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, they get full-on pampering. It certainly does work, though, and is easy to do.

    ReplyDelete