Monday, November 28, 2011

Baking interlude

The hours of light are short. The temperatures have dipped. The sky its dripping. It is time to bake. It has been years since I've made bread on a regular basis. I let my sourdough starter go and turned my attention elsewhere. I have some attention again and have acquired part of a great starter from a friend. It is nice to turn some attention back to bread.
Multigrain just before baking.

A country-white, the essence of bread:
flour, water, starter, salt.

Multigrain cooling, delicious potential at 


Bagels with a nice chew.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful, what a fine baker you are! I've just learned to how to make bagels and am about to embark on baking them at home — which recipe do you use? Did you use a starter, any other tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too nice. I saw your pastry post the other day -- very beautiful. I do have a favorite book: Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery. It is all sourdough. She begins with instructions on making starter and goes from there. It is a pretty hardcore book, packed with her attention to detail approach to making bread.

    ReplyDelete